Map Relief







Lost at Sea

When it comes to memory, I do not remember so much as instances, but emotion. When I was younger, all I remember were times when I was happy and when I was sad, there was not much more than those two feelings when I was younger. As I started to grow, my capacity for emotions and my ability to understand them grew wider and wider. While emotions became more complex, they still ranged in two ways, bad and good. This piece portrays my life and how I have travelled these emotions and have experienced the many highs an lows I have experienced as well as the times of complacency and numbness. At the beginning, the ocean was small and there is not much to explore, but what I gained the capacity to travel farther, it lead me to new depth and heights. The paper which these emotional islands and crevices are placed on represent how unstable the ocean we travel is and how it can easily expand if we just learn how to move past the borders. The individual pins in the islands, crevices, and ocean show key points in my life and what emotions I remember feeling at that point in my life. The yellow islands represent the times of joy and/or good feelings which I had the capacity to explore with the yellow go up a brighter and brighter tint with each level to show the range of emotions as they grow. The violet crevices show the darker emotions I have come to be able to comprehend and explore with the violet going down a darker shade with every level to show the depths which I have sunk into emotionally. The piece makes the viewer reflect on the various emotions they have gone through in their life and with the thought of those emotions come the memories making the time the memory was formed inconsequential and irregular.

Materials: Paper, Foam Board, Straight Pins, Wood Glue, Grey Yarn, Yellow, 
Acrylic Paint (Yellow, Violet, White, Black)

Inspiration Artists

Jan Albers

Serene Ng

Relief Map



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Longing Responses

Balsa Wood Sculptures